Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Latin Club Week 1


This is a class report for my Latin class at Homeschool Out of the Box co-op. Our textbook is Latin for Children Level A.

In class:

Meet and greet. We all Latin-ized our names, so Benny became Bennimus, Stephen became Stephanus, etc. Fortunately for me, I got to stay "Lydia." Already Latin enough.

We talked about the different reasons we want to learn Latin. The kids mentioned that learning Latin makes it easier to learn other languages (Shira), that Latin is like a secret language (Stephen), and that Latin is just fun to learn (Ben).

Down to business. We went over the syllabus and talked about the book, the quizzes, the stamps.

Grammar: We discussed verbs and how they have number and person. We played a game where I said a pronoun and they had to tell me the number or the person or both. Then we talked about the verb endings in chapter 1, and how in Latin instead of adding a pronoun to signify person and number, the actual verb itself changes.

Chants: We did the amo/amas/amat chant, the verb chant with principle parts, and the noun vocab chant, and the kids took turns leading the chants.

Songs: I introduced the songs "She Will Be Latin" and "Ballad of the Latin Verbs." In the next few days I'll be posting more about these songs. with some audio to listen to, and the lyrics.

Flashcards: I handed out five blank cards to each student, and with markers and other writing utensils, they got started on making their cards. I handed out their pouches to keep the cards in, and that was it!

Assignments: This week the children should complete pages 5 and 6 in the Primer to tear out and turn in. Of course, I recommend completing all the work in the Primer and Activity Book for chapter 1. We will be taking the quiz in chapter 1 in class. Not only can they preview the questions in advance, but they can use the book to help them as they take the quiz in class. Ideally, they won't need to!


No comments:

Post a Comment