Monday, February 12, 2007

Benny on the Radio

Benny called in to the Tony Macrini show this morning to share his martial arts experiences.

Benny's karate teacher, Mr. Odom, of the Norfolk Karate Academy, was a guest on the morning show over at WNIS this morning.

I am an avid listener to talk radio when I'm in the car and the kids will allow me to change over from "They Might Be Giants: Here Come the ABCs" which is currently in our DVD player. (Benny is committed to getting Sadie educated on those ABCs, and I'm just letting him do it!) I even enjoy listening to the right wing bozos that come on in the afternoon. I get a kick out of hearing their ridiculous analogies and bizarre applications of "logic" and then ranting and raving about them to whoever will listen to me for the rest of the day.

Uh oh, here I go. Just one example, because I cannot help myself: The other day, in response to someone referencing all the military people who have died in Iraq, Rush Limbaugh pooh-poohed the distress over the deaths by saying that Iraq was safer than Philadelphia. Why? Because 400 people were killed in Philadelphia in a city of 1.5 million, whereas only 3000 people were killed in Iraq, in a country of over 25 million. Okay, I know, I know, you're jumping in your seat and raising your hand to say, "Wait! Wait! In order for that to work you would have to count the *Iraqi deaths too* you belligerently idiotic asshat! Let's do a recount with those numbers added in, since they are, in fact, people too, and do count when they are murdered or blown up, and then we'll see if Baghdad is still a lot safer than Philadelphia!" Of course, no one pointed this out to the Great One, who brags that he has half his brain tied behind his back, just to make it fair. Which half, Rush? The half that had a grasp of basic math?

ANYWAY!

I actually like listening to Tony Macrini, and used to listen often when I had Benny in preschool and was doing the trek over to Rosemont. Tony Macrini would never try to pass off some silly garbage like the "Iraq is Safe!" theory. So, this morning we switched on the radio on the way to the YMCA and there was Mr. Odom, our favorite karate dude, getting interviewed by Mr. Macrini himself. It was a good thing!

Benny wanted to call in and offer his insight into martial arts, so after waiting through a news break or two, he got on the air. Here's what he said, as far as I can remember:

"Hey, there. How's everybody doing today!? Well, we have lots of great stuff at the Norfolk Karate Academy. We have self defense techniques, well, for example, there's bear hug from behind, and headlock on the ground, and hip lift defense..." and then he kept on enthusiastically listing as many self defense techniques as he could think of, until he got cut off. It was pretty funny. I didn't get to hear it on the radio, because of the seven second delay thingy. But, Benny *really* enjoyed himself.

Another day, another entertaining moment in the lives of my children. It is never, ever dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment